Our Hotel is located close to the main sights of the Great War, in our town was situated the most important field hospital, called Università Castrense.
San Giorgio di Nogaro, at the outbreak of World War II, was a strategic place of the low Friulian plain, and was its location to make it important for the Italian Army, was a must for the incoming and outgoing goods from Italy, also thanks to the railway station along the line Trieste-Venice . It was these characteristics that make San Giorgio di Nogaro in 1915 a military center for grain storage, ammunition, military vehicles and clothing and here were built dormitories for soldiers, office locations of command and control. The town became a military logistics headquarters, also in terms of services sanitar with the birth of the Medical Field School. So that at the end of 1915 the Supreme Command suggested the construction of a Medical Castrense School on the front of Friuli, to make up for the huge losses (almost 170,000 soldiers) of the Royal Army, caused by enemy attacks and the lack of doctors in the war zone.
On the Carso plateau Italian and Austro-Hungarians gave birth to twelve battles between 1915 and 1917 in which hundreds of thousands of men lost their lives in the trenches dug in the bare Carso rock, between the peaks of the Julian Alps and the Carnic Alps and during the retreat following the defeat of Caporetto.
All of these events can now be rediscovered thanks to the open-air museums and the routes of the Great War, exciting walks in the midst of breathtaking natural landscapes where you can relive the lives of soldiers, you can walk along the trenches, admire the military buildings and visit the sites of battles, shrines, cemeteries and ossuaries of this gigantic war conflict.
Leopoldo Pavan, civil engineer who worked for the Financial Police Brigade of Marano Lagunare, received the first volley of musketry by the Austrians at 13.30 on May 23, 1915 opening of hostilities to the Great War.
The first cannon shot of the First World War was fired by the destroyer Zephyr, led by Arturo Ciano, on the night of May 23, 1915 at 23:15 in Porto Buso came in and fired a number of rounds against the barracks of the Austrian border, making forty-seven prisoners and a victim.